How you go about doing this will depend on what kind of file it is to begin with and what programs or tools you have available to you.
- Converting to PDF from Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Printing to PDF
- Converting from Google Docs
- Other file types and combining multiple files
1. Converting to PDF from Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Step 1: Click “File” then “Save As”
- Step 2: Chose the location you want the save the file
- Step 3: In the “Save As” window, click on the “save as type” box and select PDF from the drop-down menu.
- Step 4: Click “Save”
2. Printing to PDF
Many computers will have a digital printer that will “print” files into PDF format.
- Step 1: Open the file and the open the print menu.
- Step 2: Change the printer to a PDF printer (ex: Microsoft Print to PDF, there may be other options too)
- Step 3: Click Print
- Step 4: Choose a name and select a file location to save the file.
- Step 5: Click “Save”
3. Converting from Google Docs (works for document type files)
- Step 1: Open your internet browser and navigate to Google Drive. You may need to sign in with a google account.
Step 2: In google drive, click “New” in the top left hand corner of the screen, then select “File upload.” If you created the file in google docs you won’t have to do this step.
- Step 3: Choose the file that you want to upload and click “open”
- Step 4: When the file has been uploaded and opened, select “File” then “Download as” and finally “PDF document”
- Step 5: The file will be downloaded for you to use.
4. Other file types and combining multiple files (suppose you want to convert an image or combine several files into one)
- Option 1: Copy the content of the files or the images into a word document or google doc and then save as PDF using the methods above
- Option 2: Upload the files or images to www.online2pdf.com. Follow the instructions on the website.